Sunday, February 12, 2006

Younger times

Maybe it's because they're so grown up. Not necessarily so mature, but having lived in this techno-saturated world with so much stimuli coming at them non-stop, the youngest generations know about a lot (seemingly before their time.) Perhaps they make choices about life in as quick a way as they select and push a button on their X-Box controller. I may not be able to follow the sequence or understand it at all. Video games sometimes seem childish and frankly, boring, to me, but I am not the intended market. The skill they require is way beyond me for sure. Do video games represent a difference in perspective we have on other levels as well? I have to think more about that.

A person can remain childish, yet have a jaded worldly-wise veneer. Childlike wonder is absent. A childlike attitude is commended by Jesus. Kingdom mentality is more about fresh and eager trust of a loving Poppa, letting Him surprise and delight us yet again. These quotes by G.K. Chesterton (found at soulgardeners) address this:
The greatest of all illusions is the illusion of familiarity.

It is possible that God says every morning, 'do it again' to the sun and every evening, 'do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike, it may be that God makes every daisy separately but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy: for we have grown old and our Father has been forever young.
I am concerned for my kids and all kids to come to see how precious their life is--how precious each day and each moment is. That's not just for kids to know, but a treasure for us all to embrace. Growing older and younger, wide-eyed, and wiser. As an artist, too, I need that reminder. I think that's a place I can make art from.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have to believe that every time we love like Jesus, speak truth, act with integrity, listen, live out our values, and even laugh and enjoy life--we are laying that foundation and setting good boundaries for our kids. We can't control how they build on it. That's the scary part that calls for much prayer.

I have also seen my kids benefit from exposure to 'good' community. When we were spending time with a few families consistently, doing church together, taking trips together, back yard parties, etc. it gave my kids a broader sense of family and more input from adults in a natural setting of relationship where people cared for them. They don't have that so much now, and even though they are older, they seem to miss it.