There's gotta be a better way to reach people than to talk loudly in a public space using hip Christian buzzwords. Having a conversation (with another pastor buddy) about who and what you don't agree with does not capture anyone's attention and cause them to be open to spiritual things so that you can evangelize them. They are not impressed with your spirituality or with your prestige as being part of the latest movement. If you sit down in a wifi cafe beside me again and do that stuff, I'm going to have to say something to you, my brother. I was irritated that your volume was distracting from the task at hand for me, which was preparing for the group I was leading later that night. Even with headphones I couldn't focus on my work. I was de-railed. I began to focus on the people around me who were also trying to work.
So, my feelings were conflicted because here I was in near proximity to folks who share my worldview and some of my passions, but who were controlling the airwaves in a cafe where everyone was quietly enjoying their coffee drink and their laptop. It was one of the nicest, safest, most comfortable spaces I've found--until the Christians showed up. Mr. Noisy was even looking around while he was talking, presumably to see who was watching or listening to him. Today I stopped back in to go online for a while and guess who was coming out of the door singing a worship song? I cringed and walked in with my sunglasses on. I am not embarrassed about worshipping the One who deserves all honor and praise, but I am embarrassed by some of the methods his servants employ to catch the ear of a non-believer. Do they think that non-Christians are attracted to inappropriate behavior? Or might they hear it as so much noise? I personally heard the sound of clanging symbols. I am not proud of my attitude and response either. What is the honest and loving thing to do or say in this situation? I am responsible for my own behavior and speech. I find it hard to know whether to do more than that or just consider it a learning experience (of what not to do.) I wouldn't want to say anything if I couldn't do it with a genuine smile and caring heart.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment