Thursday, July 21, 2005

Reeling

What if instead of reeling in the turtle on your line, he suddenly pulls so hard you lose your balance? You fall into the water and go under as he swims deeper, dragging your line and you with it. You realize this isn't a lake snapper, it's a giant sea turtle. You are headed to the bottom through tangled sea kelp and unidentifiable dark shapes. Light from the ocean surface grows dimmer. How did this happen? Will you panic? Will you struggle? Who will help save you? You think it can't be real. Jokes come to mind about finding Nemo or yelling, "Free Willy!" But stinging pain from brushing against coral and jelly fish gives you a rational jolt. It is real, and you are in trouble.

I happened across the story of someone who had a horrifying experience and described some of it like this:

"From the depths of death I called…I sank down into the floods of waters and was covered by wild and stormy waves…I sank beneath the waves, and death was very near…The waters closed above me; the seaweed wrapped itself around my head. I went down to the bottom of the mountains that rise from off the ocean floor. I was locked out of life and imprisoned in the land of death.

When I had lost all hope, I turned my thoughts once more to the Lord. In my great trouble I cried to the Lord and he answered me. (Those who worship false gods have turned their backs on all the mercies waiting for them from the Lord!) God, I will never worship anyone but you! For how can I thank you enough for all you have done? I will surely fulfill my promises. For my deliverance comes from the Lord alone."

And the Lord ordered the fish to spit up Jonah on the beach, and it did.



There was no help but God for this guy. Why he got into such a predicament is another story. My question is: When taken for an unexpected deep sea dive, how do I respond or even get my bearings? What is the antidote to panic and where will help come from? And when??

I bring all this up because I see it happening in my life and in the lives of others close to me. Big things come along and sweep us away, maybe under. "Oh, just let go of the line," you say. But it's too late. The turtle's done a number on you and you're somewhere you don't want to be. It's hard to not be surprised that such difficult things happen. Now it's about looking for help and calling out for deliverance. Knowing there's a bigger picture helps, but the sting and the pain are real. Trusting while waiting is my plan of action. Operating in the opposite spirit to what seems destructive, evil, or not of God seems like good warfare. That will be harder than fighting.

No comments: